Saturday, January 17, 2009

Tana Has A Marley Moment


Not sure if all of you or some of you have read or seen Marley and Me but, that particular dog and my particular dog have a lot in common. Tana (Montana) is an 8 year old yellow lab who has also eaten things like phones, couches, toilet paper, bleach water, ant repellent, loads of stuffed animals, pillows... etc. We are surprised nothing has happened to her digestive tract or ever had a reaction, even to a basket full of Easter candy, which she was very sorry she ate.
Tana got in the trash Thursday night and had some leftovers chili and cornbread that had been sitting out. Now i have no idea why my husband didn't use the garbage disposal, but we definitely learned that lesson. This is not her first snack attack to the trash can, usually its things like, taco bell wrappers, french fries etc. Not usually whole meals loaded with spices. I woke up around 5 am friday to that oh so familiar heaving sound a dog makes when its been a trashcan night. I hurried her outside so she could finish her buisness, and i waited... and waited and waited. I called for her, she didnt come. I sent our other dog Vegas out to find her, she's a hearding mutt, and she came back without her. I start to worry. Tana is a very citified dog. It's 12 degrees outside and she isnt a fan of the outdoors all together. So this is alarming. I pile on some clothes and shoes and trek though the darkness where i can't find her. I round the corner of out house where we keep our ski boat and she has laid down under the trailer. Miserable, cold, unreactive to me calling her name. I immediatly FREAK OUT. The only thing you ever hear about dogs and dying is they like to wander off and die on there own. Well i was figuring this was as far as she could get, with the fence and all. I wake johnny up, he slaps on his coveralls and scoops her up and takes her inside without a fight. He gently lays her on the couch, i sit with her and talk to her and cover her to warm her back up. She breaks my heart. Her sad little face was saying, "mommy, my tummy hurts. i dont like it." Johnny who has had way more dogs than me, says, shes not dying, she just ate the chili. She just feels like dying. 30 min later, she is broken out in hives, her tummy, and face and she is miserably scratching, i force 3 benedryl down her throat and 15 min later, she is back asleep, hiveless, hiding in different rooms, but alive. Around 830 she perks up and drinks some water, and goes to lay in the bed till noon. Can't blame her. She returns to her normal self that after noon, but scaring the dickens out of me in the process. I just cant imagine what its gonna be like when its her time to go. But i do know, she is my favorite dog in the whole world, and i cant wait for Gracie Jane to meet her.

No comments:

Post a Comment