Wednesday, January 14, 2009

too much unwrapping?

Acquired a new symptom this weekend. After attending two showers back to back this weekend and being blessed with all the unwrapping of gifts, i somehow pulled a tiny band of muscles under my left shoulder blade. This happened quite a bit in college during finals, so i was familiar with the pain. So massaging helps. My mom massaged it, my husband massaged it, my friend Christy who used to be a masseuse massaged it, i massaged it against a door frames like a bear trying to scratch its back. So by Sunday night, i was so sore from all the massaging it had made it worse. I was at this point using accessory muscles to avoid my shoulder so i could breathe. Monday was horrible. The pain was nagging but by Monday night my pain was migrating toward my chest. All the opposite muscles in the front were sore from me working to avoid the ones in the back....are you still with me. Samantha prescribed some muscle relaxers thinking it was a spasm i agreed, but no relief was in sight. So Tuesday at 4 am, i woke Johnny up b/c i hadn't been asleep, my chest was burning with every breath. I had exhausted all my muscles just trying to breathe. Ironic. We ended up on labor and delivery, the ER for preggos. But everything checked out clean.pulse ox, EKG, breath sounds, x ray. Thank goodness. I had figured this amplitude of pain was cardiac related or i had been stabbed but no one told me. Laboring breath, shortness of breath i had it all. My x ray came back normal for a 37 weeker preggo. She said my diaphragm was pushing up into my lungs and my left lung was being pushed on... i wonder by whom? hmmmmm?
So 6 hours after getting to the hospital, and the pain getting worse, they gave me a little gem called Percocet. Relief at last. My pain went from a 10 to a 7 in about 30 min. Which was a nice relief. So now with lack of sleep, dopey from the percocet, and starving for food, we left the hospital with a new script and i headed to burger king for a tasty whopper, my new favorite thing. Johnny tucked me into bed around 1:00 in the afternoon, and i was able to sleep for the first time in 3 nights, drug induced of coarse, but nice, restful sleep. Tuesday night i slept and slept and slept, as though i was new to this bed rest thing. I'm still sore today, but the pain has evolved to more vague, i spent all night at the smokey bar, instead of the, chest grasping, shallow breathing, who the heck is stabbing me, pain.
So hopefully by tomorrow i will be functional again. And maybe by the end of the week she will drop out of my diaphragm and some relief will be given. I swear they were gonna see a tiny foot in my lungs, it wouldn't surprise me at all. But through the whole thing, she is just fine. She was on the monitor for about an hour and a half, and was happy to show off her heartbeatin' skills. So here i sit, truly resting today, and it feels nice.

1 comment:

  1. Yuck! Sounds miserable but at least you now have percocet ... better living through drugs!

    ReplyDelete